Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kitchen Scale, Ironstone, and French Opera Glasses

I picked up this cute little dresser back around Christmas when I was digging through barns and it took me a few weeks to get the motivation to tackle it because it looked like this before...

I had already pulled out some of the drawers before I remembered to take a "before" picture, but this dresser was covered in layers of dirt, grime, etc.  You can't see in this picture, but there was also a line of thick adhesive where a mirror had been attached in the past.  Luckily we had a 70-degree day this week and I was able to lug it out of the garage and clean, and clean, and clean it!
I had every intention of staining the top and applied two thick coats of Citristrip to help get all the gunk, adhesive, and layers of finish off.  I finally got down to the beautiful bare wood, but there were two big spots where the wood had just been too damaged to leave bare...so out came my favorite color of milk paint (MMS - Kitchen Scale).
I knew I wanted to use milk paint on this piece since there was all this great texture from previous finishes and I thought the milk paint would really enhance this and I was hoping for a little "crackle action" too.  I lucked out and got some beautiful crackling on the drawers (MMS "Ironstone")...

I finished it all out with MMS Furniture Wax and added some mercury glass hardware for a little sparkle...
  I also just have to share some a few of my recent favorite finds...
Besides that cool, chunky silver frame, I finally found some French opera glasses at the Raleigh Flea Market!  I've been looking for a pair of these that I could afford for a very long time.
It just goes to show that when you look long enough or hard enough for something, you're bound to find it.
And to make it even better, I found two pair and one of them has birds on it! With my six-year bird obsession, I guess it was meant to be. I really love the mother-of-pearl pair as well...
I've completed a quite a few small tables and projects this week as well as I'm gearing up to move into a larger booth this weekend...just a few more days of work to go!

Kristen

Linking up to:

37 comments:

Sassy Southern Lady said...

You did a great job. I admire your hard work.

Babs said...

I'm amazed! Looking at the "before", I'd have thought the dresser was ready for the dumpster! You did an awesome job refurbishing it. Love the color and the mercury glass knobs. Pretty opera glasses, too.
Babs

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful dresser...now. Love the color choices! The opera glasses are such a find!
melinda

Cassie Bustamante said...

love this dresser! i love the details behind the knobs- adorable!

Designing Domesticity said...

Beautiful work on the dresser and that huge silver frame is a wonderful find. Not to mention the opera glasses...don't you just love it when patience pays off. Well done you! Thanks for sharing, liz

Laurel Stephens said...

The thrill of finding something you've been searching for is just the best feeling, isn't it?

Andrea said...

I have a few grimed up pieces like that in my garage too....you've given me some inspiration to get them done! I absolutely adore the opera glasses. What a find!!!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

just gorgeous, love the colors!!

Stacey said...

Love the makeover...the color and the knobs are perfect. Your opera glasses are beautiful. You've started a collection. :)

Designed Decor said...

Beautiful! I love the colors and love the accessories!
I just started a new link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party-5/
DeDe@DesignedDecor

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Oh my that turned out so cute! I like the finish you put on it. Sometimes the wood is in just too bad of shape to ever be naturally pretty any longer. The drawer pulls are perfect! I love those opera glasses- they both have such a nice finish! Mixed with the antique frame and other pieces- you have a wonderful vignette!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

First of all, the dresser is as always so magnificent...I love the colors you chose!...and second...I LOVE THOSE OPERA GLASSES...!!!...I love the birds and the mother of pearl...it would be really hard to choose a favorite!!...
Beautiful Kristen!!!...You did it again...another masterpiece! Have a wonderful weekend!

April said...

Beautiful! Great job again Kristen!!

chateau chic said...

Your little chest is so adorable! LOVE it!! And those opera glasses are beautiful. What a great find.
Mary Alice

Allison@FabRehab said...

Absolutely love this piece!!!

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

So glad you found such a find!! And with birdies=)! You have such an eye...such a gorgeous vingnette!! LOOVVEEE the frame...oh my junk!=)
HOllie

Jenny said...

So pretty! Great color and great details. I love the embellishments around the knobs - even cuter!

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Beautiful! I love the colors and crackle on the dresser, the knobs are gorgeous and that little detail you painted behind some of them is charming! Glad you found your opera glasses - so cool! Good luck with the new booth!Hugs, Leena

Daena from Bad Rabbit Vintage said...

Empire style furniture is so awesome. I have a piece that looks just like yours did before. You have inspired me.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Such a beautiful color combination! And this piece was a perfect candidate for milk paint. Nice to find you on Hometalk. I'll be following along. Hope you come join our link party sometime.

Lori Young said...

Sophia, this is stunning and what a transformation from start to finish!! Perfection!! ~ Lori

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a beautiful makeover...luv her new look.

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

That dresser came out great! I really want to try that milk paint out!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kristen, this is fabulous. I love the way the paint enhances the finish. Great opera glasses, too. They are so expensive when I find them.

Unknown said...

Oh your piece looks beautiful! Amazing how pieces start and then end up. I wish I could find a pair of those mother of pearl opera glasses. they are precious.

Allison @ The Golden Sycamore said...

What a beautiful transformation! I love the style of the dresser and the colors you used! Beautiful!
Allison

Stacey said...

Stunning - you brought her back to life and she is marvelous!
Stacey of Embracing Change

House Crazy in Michigan! said...

Popped over from MMM. This is the prettiest piece I have seen in a long time. The color combo, the crackling the pulls. Y-U-M!

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

At The Picket Fence said...

Beautiful job Kristen!!
Vanessa

Kathy Owen, Petticoat Junktion said...

Kristen, I'm so envious, you really outdid yourself on this piece. How did you do the detail behind the mercury glass knobs? The whole vignette is beautiful. By the way I want that gorgeous silver frame :-)

Anonymous said...

What a pretty piece. So I've never used milk paint, does it always crackle or what makes it do that? I love the way it looks, it really looks like authentic crackling. Thank you for sharing. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

Clara said...

Que maravilla , tienes muy buenas manos y buen gusto. me encanta tu estilo.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

This piece looks amazing!!

Rhonda @ home.made. said...

That is so beautiful! Love the colors you chose to accent this great piece! Visiting from Savvy Southern Style---

Amanda said...

That dresser turned out amazing! Great job!

reFresh reStyle said...

Amazing! Love it :)
Debbie

Unknown said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, I LOOOOVE it! In fact, I love every piece of furniture you makeover - each piece is so unique and beautiful. Thank you for all of your inspiration :)
~Katie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...